Code of Ethics of Public interest incorporated association Friends of WHO JAPAN
Chapter I: General Provisions
This Code of Ethics shall have the purpose to improve the ethics of the Board of Directors and the ethics of members
(Definition of Terms)
Terms used herein shall be defined as follows:
- Member: All members (including Board members) prescribed in Article 6 of the Articles of Incorporation of the Association
- Boards members: Directors and Auditors as set forth in Article 23 of the Articles of Incorporation
Chapter II: Membership Ethics
(Purpose of Membership Activities)
- Members shall engage in membership activities for the purpose of achieving the purpose of Friends of WHO JAPAN set forth in the Articles of Incorporation.
- Members shall be aware that Friends of WHO JAPAN is a public interest corporation supporting WHO activities.
(Prohibition of Commercial Activities)
- Members shall not engage in commercial activities by taking advantages of their membership in Friends of WHO JAPAN.
- Members shall not use the name (including the logo mark, etc.) of Friends of WHO JAPAN and the affiliation in Friends of WHO JAPAN for the purpose of commercial use
- Members shall obtain the permission of the Board of Directors in case they use the name (including the logo mark, etc.) of Friends of WHO JAPAN as well as he affiliation of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
- The Board may not grant the permission set forth in the preceding paragraph if it is likely to fall under any of the following items:
- When it is used for the purpose of specific political, ideological, religious, donation, or other activities
- When it is against laws, regulations, or public order or morality
- When it is used for the name of a specific individual or organization
- When used as collateral or proof of the quality of the goods or services offered by the company or organization in charge
- When used as its own symbol mark, trademark, or design, or when a third party may misunderstand or be confused.
- In the case of any other improper use
- In the case that a risk comes to be applicable to any preceding items after the permission set forth in paragraph (3), the Board of Directors shall revoke the said permission or request prohibition or suspension of the use thereof.
(Prohibition of Acquisition of Remuneration and Compensation)
A member shall not obtain remuneration or consideration (irrespective of the name thereof) by participating in the activities of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
Provided, however, that this shall not apply to the following:
- Remuneration for full-time directors based on the resolution of the general meeting pursuant to the provision of Article 29 of the Articles of Incorporation
- Remuneration of Secretariat Staff
- Based on the outsourcing agreement approved by the Board of Directors
- Actual expenses such as transportation
- Instructor rewards to the extent socially reasonable
- Other cases approved by the Board of Directors.
Chapter III: Ethics for Boards members
(Basic Obligations of Boards members)
- With full understanding of the purpose of Friends of WHO JAPAN and related laws and regulations, Boards members shall endeavor to execute their duties in a neutral, transparent and fair manner. Awareness shall be given and diligent efforts shall be made to secure, maintain, and enhance the social trust of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
- With high ethical standards and social common sense in compliance with the provisions of the Articles of Incorporation and other rules as well as resolutions of the Board of Directors and the General Meeting of Members, Boards members shall faithfully perform his/her duties on for Friends of WHO JAPAN.
- Boards members shall not utilize confidential and/or personal information for their own sake, or leak such the information obtained through the execution of the operations of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
- The obligation set forth in the preceding paragraph shall also apply after their retirement.
(Obligation to Ensure Neutrality)
- Boards members shall not give preferential treatment or benefit to specific corporations and individuals in the performance of the affairs of Friends of WHO JAPAN
- Boards members shall not act on behalf of a specific individual or on behalf of a specific organization in the performance of the affairs of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
- Boards members shall not give unfair discriminatory treatment in the performance of the affairs of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
Chapter IV: Penal Provisions
- In the case that a Director violates these Regulations, he or she shall be subject to disciplinary action according to the degree of violation.
- In the case that a Director materially violates these Regulations, the Board of Directors may, by resolution, recommend that such Director resigns.
- If the Director does not accept the recommendation set forth in the preceding paragraph, the Board of Directors may propose the dismissal pursuant to the provisions of Article 28 of the Articles of Incorporation to the general meeting of members.
- In the case that a member materially violates these Regulations, the Board of Directors may, by resolution, recommend the member to withdraw from the membership.
- If the member does not comply with the recommendation set forth in the preceding paragraph, the member may be expelled pursuant to Article 11 of the Articles of Incorporation.
Chapter V: Miscellaneous Provisions
(Revision and Abolition of the Rules)
These Regulations shall be revised and abolished by a resolution of the Board of Directors.
- These regulations shall be effective on April 17, 2010.
Advertisement Guidelines of Public interest incorporated association Friends of WHO JAPAN
1. Procedures for Posting Advertisements (Permission by Friends of WHO JAPAN)
Advertisement must be approved by the Board of Directors or the Compliance Committee as an internal procedure of Friends of WHO JAPAN.
Therefore, it is necessary for the applicant to submit a draft planned to be posted in advance, and the applicant should ensure enough time for approval and posting.
2. Elimination of product advertisements
Advertisements should be limited only to promotion of the image and ideas of a company or to introduce CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) activities, Friends of WHO JAPAN will ask applicants to refrain from posting product names or product photographs that identify the specific products for the appealing and promotion of products, even if such products are not relevant to the Health,.
(Principle of Prohibition of Product Name Indication as well as Product Photograph Indication)
3. Industries to be reviewed for assessment as advertiser
With respect to products, such as tobacco and alcohol, which are not well or fully recommended by WHO , as well as products, etc. that may mislead consumers as if WHO recommends, as the main business, and companies that are deemed inappropriate as partners of public interest corporations under socially accepted norms, these may be cases that advertisers (applicants) are asked to refrain from application for advertisement in consideration of Friends of WHO JAPAN’s comprehensive judgement by taking into account of compliance system, etc. of respective applicant.
Business categories subject to deliberation are as follows but not limited.
- Alcoholic beverage
- Health foods, Health beverages (including specified authorized health foods), Health appliances
- Non -authorized medication by the government and medication-like services
- Internet sales and mail order sales intended to general consumers
In case of banner advertisements and business partnership on the website, clarification of the product name is not allowed. Only the corporate name or its logo is permitted for use
(Principle of Prohibition of Specifying Commodity Names)
The link screen created by the banner crick should be the top page of the advertiser’s company, the page describing the company’s outline, or the CSR activity introduction page. In each case, the requirement is that the space of articles introducing or marketing products, etc. should be less than the half of the total space of the screen.
(Principle of Prohibition of Direct Sales Intention)
5. Labeling of the name of Friends of WHO JAPAN by the Corporate (advertiser)
When advertisers, business sponsors, or corporate member companies display the name of Friends of WHO JAPAN or its relationship on the documents such as company brochure, pamphlet or the websites, an application for use should be made to the Association in advance.
The Permission for use shall be decided by the Board of Directors in accordance with the application form for permission.
Provided, however, that this shall not apply to the cases upon the request by the Association that such the information on the business activities to be conducted by the Association itself, such as holding seminars is publicized.
6. Discontinuation and Injunction
In the event that the Board of Directors determines, after examination, that the expressions used in advertising and corporate publicity activities or the business activities of a company are inappropriate, such as when improper expressions by the company is deemed to involve Friends of WHO JAPAN for sale or when a complaint is received from a third party, the Association may seek the suspension of advertisements and expressions or request that the relevant distributed documents be recalled by the Company.